Candidate filing starts at noon Monday, Aug. 1, for local school board seats that will be on the Nov. 8 general election ballot.

The school board seats are Districts 1, 3, 5 and 7.

Melvin Stroble represents District 1, Bobby Parker represents District 3, Janice Dabney represents District 5 and Ken Buck represents District 7.

All the races are nonpartisan, which means candidates don’t run with a political party. It also means there will not be a runoff, and the races could be decided by a single vote.

School board changes

There are going to be big changes on the school board after the election.

One incumbent has already announced she isn’t running. One can’t run and another is switching districts because of redistricting.

Dabney, 75, announced in March that she will not seek a new term on the school board. She has had two stints on school board, serving a total of 34 years. She was on the Lancaster area board from 1985 to 1988, serving as chairwoman from 1986 to 1988. She has been on the countywide board since 1992 and is serving as board chairwoman for the third time.

Buck can’t seek reelection because he no longer lives in District 7. His address on Clover Hill Road has not changed, but Clover Hill Road is now in District 4.

Redistricting moved District 4 into the Panhandle, giving Indian Land residents three of the seven seats on Lancaster County Council and the school board. The population explosion in the northern end of the county prompted the realignment.

Incumbent school board member Brad Small, who represents District 4, still has two years remaining on his term.

The shift in political boundaries also placed Stroble in District 7, and he now plans to run for the seat.

Filing information

School board candidates can file from noon to 5 p.m. Monday at the county voter registration office on the lower level of the Lancaster County Administration Building, 101 N. Main St., Lancaster.

Starting Tuesday, Aug 2, candidates can file from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

There is no fee to run for the school board.

To file, candidates must provide verifiable proof of residence, showing they live within their respective districts.

They must first complete a Statement of Economic Interests form online with the S.C. Ethics Commission before filing. To access the online form, visit

Follow reporter Greg Summers on Twitter @GregSummersTLN or contact him at 803-339-6869.

Trending Videos